First Job in the Army!

It was while stationed in Northumberland that I got my first job in the army. I was in my tent getting prepared to go on guard when my platoon Sgt. came in and told me to report to the Sgts mess. Thinking it was just one of those tiresome fatigues they delight in handing out I was not too happy about it. There was no use protesting because in the army you do as ordered first then complain later. I never saw any sense in this.

So over to the mess I went and found out that I was to be employed as a mess waiter as the man who had the job was on leave. In charge of the mess was a real old soldier with a row of medal ribbons on his chest whose rank was Colour Quarter Master Sergeant. He told me my duties were to set the table and bring in the meals from the cook house then clear away after the meal. He said the dishes would be washed by the defaulters (they are the chaps who have broke some rule,and are confined to barracks for certain spells of time.) A few days later the Quartie came to me and said the job was mine as the lad on leave was not suitable. I gave it a bit of thought, and decided to stay on for a bit and see what happened.

It was certainly a lot better than guards, drills, and route marches. By this time I was beginning to see the Sgts. in a different light. Being new to army life one was inclined to treat them with awe, and put them on a pedestal, but listening to and watching their antics in the mess soon shattered those illusions. What I am going to relate next may sound incredible, but believe me it happened......

No comments: