A New Bed

The soldier that had told me my number turned round to another soldier with two tapes on his arms (two tapes so white he could have been a walking advert for a soap powder) and barks at him, “Corporal take this man and show him his billet”.
So off I went with the Corporal wondering what was going to happen next. On the way there, white tapes tried to cheer me up by telling me how lucky I was getting put into Sgt. Browns squad. Maybe I should have thanked that other fellow after all, but the only news that could have cheered me up was to be told that I was not in the army at all and that the whole thing was just a horrible nightmare, but no such luck. I was really and truly on my way to be coming an Infantry Soldier.

The Billets consisted of a long room with iron beds running down each side. When I arrived there there was already about fourteen chaps waiting, but all still in civilian clothes. The corporal left me at the door telling me to pick myself a bed. So I wandered down the room very concious of the stares from the other men and I stopped at a bed that did not seem to be claimed thankful for the chance to sit down and gather my wits. There was a curious silence with everyone just waiting and wondering what was going to happen next.
Suddenly the door flew open, and lo and behold there was the Corporal once more.
“Get your cutlery out” he shouts, “and follow me, dinner is ready.”

It was like he had pressed a button which released us into action all at the same time. There was a scamper to open our cases and get the eating irons out. The dinner was really good. One of those specials the army delight putting on for newcomers, maybe with the thought that first impressions last longer. We were then told that after the meal we would be fitted out with our army clothing.

No comments: