Called Up - June 21st, 1940

I was not yet two years married when War broke out on September 3rd 1939 but then on June 21st 1940 I received my calling up papers for the armed forces. I was told to report for a medical examination at the Music Hall in George Street Edinburgh. I arrived in the early afternoon, but it was evening before my turn came and I was ushered into a room with five doctors. My check up did not last ten minutes and I was passed Grade I, the top mark. I got the feeling that I was on my way into the armed forces.

The next phase was being interviewed by an army officer, who asked me what branch of the services I would prefer to serve in. I promptly told him the Navy but he replied I had no chance as the navy was full up at present so it now looked that it was the Army for me. I told him that I did not want the infantry, and was it possible to get into the Service Corp. or the Ordnance Corp. He then asked me what I worked at and I told him I was a French Polisher. I think that shook him a bit so I told him I was quite handy with tools having done a bit of cabinet making and repair work.

As I was talking he was taking notes but I suspect he must have just been doodling for when my calling up papers arrived they told me to report to Glencorse Barracks at Milton, Penicuik the depot of the Royal Scots which was certainly the Infantry AND HOW!

No comments: