Attempts at Cooking!
The cook went on a weeks leave, and the quartie asked me to take over as cook until he came back. When I realised he was serious I told him I knew nothing at all about cooking. He replied not to worry he would keep me right as it was just all plain cooking. So thinking to myself “OK, what have I got to lose” I said I would give it a try!
I will now explain the set up. The Battalion was scattered up and down the coast line My company which was 'B" coy. was stationed at a place called Widdrington near RedRow. The bulk of the company were in tents, the officers ere billeted In a large empty house, and the sergeants used an old lady's house for their meals. There were eight sergeants and the C.Q.M.S. to cook for which was done in her back kitchen.
I remember my first disaster! I was making rice in a large pot, but had not a clue how much rice to put in. Anyway I put in a few good handfuls not knowing that it swelled up! I think I had enough to feed the whole battalion never mind the few sergeants. I told the old lady about it and we had a good laugh! By the way she was known as Granny Foggo and she suggested that she could do the cooking and no one would be any the wiser!



The Royal Scots, the oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army, was formed in 1633 when Sir John Hepburn under a Royal Warrant granted by King Charles I, raised a body of men in Scotland for service in France.
At the start of World War II, the 1st Battalion embarked for France as part of the BEF. Forced into the retreat which was to end at Dunkirk, they never made the road to freedom. After a desperate defence across the Bethune-Merville road and after suffering appalling losses, many were taken prisoner and few escaped home. The 2nd Battalion, based in Hong Kong, saw action when the Japanese attacked in December 1941. Here too, The Royal Scots fought like tigers but the result was inevitable. At the end they had just 4 officers and 98 other ranks left and taken prisoner. The 1st Battalion was reconstituted after Dunkirk and took part in the Arakan campaign in Burma in 1943 and the Battle of Kohima in 1944. A new 2nd Battalion (originally the 12th) was formed in May 1942 and served in Italy and Palestine whilst the 7th/9th and 8th fought in Europe after D-Day. Since 1945 the Regiment has continued to serve in many parts of the world, including Germany, Korea. Cyprus, Suez, Aden and Ireland

1 comment:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.http://sbtvd.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment